Smoothies will win everytime. First, they are quick and easy to make. Second, they are super-nutritious. Third, they often make a meal in themselves. And finally, they are filling yet usually low-cal.
So, we’re giving you a colourful recipe for a smoothie that combines the goodness of kale and chia seeds. Kale is a rich source of Vitamins A, B6, C, K, folate and dietary minerals including magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium and phosphorous. Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and are popularly used in smoothies, breakfast cereals, energy bars, bread and yoghurt.
If you can lay your hands on some peacock kale, you’ll end up with a “green” smoothie that’s an amazing purple colour. Combined with fruit and fruit juice, you’ll get a smoothie that works well for vegans, looks great and taste simply yum.
Go for it!
Serves: 3 Prep time: 15 minute Cook time: 0 minute
- Fresh or canned orange juice, chilled – 2 cups
- Kale leaves, chopped – 2-3 cups
- Chia seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Frozen banana, sliced – 1
- Frozen grapes – 1 cup
- Wash the kale and take only the tenderest leaves.
- Cut the kale leaves into small pieces.
- Place the chopped kale leaves with a little orange juice in a blender.
- Puree till completely smooth.
- Add the sliced banana, grapes and remaining orange juice and blend well.
- Add the chia seeds and pulse to combine well.