Beef and Noodle Soup
This Oriental-style soup is packed with flavour and sustenance, and makes a complete meal in itself with just 302 calories per serving. Since the beef is cooked right at the end with the heat of the soup, be sure that it is very thinly sliced and that the soup you ladle over it is boiling hot.
Serves: 6 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
- Slim Pasta Spaghetti – 1 pack
- Beef bones – 1kg
- Cold water – 3 litres
- Onions – 2 large, chopped
- Ginger – 5 cm piece, thinly sliced
- Star anise – 5
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Black peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Whole cloves – 5
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Thai fish sauce – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Lemon wedges – a few, to serve
- Salt – to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper – to taste
- Beef fillet steak – 250g, very thinly sliced
- Bean sprouts – 100g
- Spring onions – 3, thinly sliced
- Fresh mint leaves – 1⁄2 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1⁄2 cup
- Red chilli – 1, thinly sliced
- Place the beef bones, water, onions, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves and coriander seeds in a large soup pot and set over high heat. Bring to boil, then decrease the heat to very low and simmer for 3 hours, skimming the surface occasionally with a slotted spoon to skim off scum and excess fat. The liquid should reduce by half.
- Wash and drain Slim Pasta Spaghetti well and Prepare as per instructions on the package. Cut spaghetti roughly in 5 cm lengths with kitchen scissors.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean pot. Remove and reserve any meat from the bones and discard the remaining solids.
- Place the soup over high heat and bring to boil. Add the spaghetti, fish sauce and lemon juice and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a few pieces of sliced beef and any reserved meat from bones into serving bowls. Ladle the soup into the bowls and top with bean sprouts, spring onions, chillies, mint and coriander.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges.