- Cut three slices of bread into small cubes and set aside. Soak the remaining three slices of bread in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water and set aside.
- Prepare the Slim Rice as per package instructions (drained and rinsed).
- Cut a cross in the base of each tomato. Blanch in a pan of boiling water for 10 seconds. Let cool for a few mins, then slip off the skins. Chop coarsely.
- Coarsley chop one of the cucumbers, half the bell pepper, and half the onion, and add to the tomatoes.
- Process the soaked bread and garlic in a food processor until a paste forms. Add the tomatoes and coarsely chopped vegetables and process until smooth.
- With the motor running, gradually add 90ml of oil, vinegar, lemon, and cumin. Add Slim Rice. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for at least 2-3 hrs or until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, finely chop the celery, the remaining cucumber, bell peppers, onion, keeping them separate.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, shaking the pan until golden. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same frying pan over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and cook, tossing until golden.
- Serve gazpacho chilled, drizzled with extra oil, and sprinkled with the chopped vegetables, fried bread, and almonds.
317cal Cooking Slim Rice
459 cal Cooking Regular Rice
142cal Excess Calorie Saving
- 1 pack of Slim Rice
- 6 large slices, day old, firm-textured bread, crusts removed
- 1½ kg ripe, fresh tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, halved, and seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, halved, seeded
- 1 red onion, halved
- 1 clove garlic
- 120ml extra-virgin olive oil + extra to serve
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves attached
- 120ml blanched whole almonds, split (optional)